Chilewich creates innovative products from our own original textiles which enhance interiors around the world. Using woven vinyl textiles we manufacture designs which include flooring, wall textiles, upholstery, window covering, tabletop designs and more. We use vinyl because it is durable, easy to maintain and provides the aesthetic qualities our customers' desire. Our woven textile products can be washed with water and bio-degradable detergents and have a long lifecycle, which helps customers reduce both energy use and costs, while maintaining a unique and elegant setting.
We have made great progress in becoming "green". Some examples of Chilewich's green initiatives are listed below:
- Chilewich is making a significant environmental development by replacing the petroleum-based plasticizers in our yarns with phthalate-free, renewable vegetable compounds.
- Plasticizers have traditionally been made from petroleum-based compounds that are used to make PVC yarns soft. No more.
- We call these innovative new yarns and the fabrics made from them TerraStrand®.
- TerraStrand® is 100% phthalate-free and contains 25% renewable vegetable content.
- Every square yard of TerraStrand® saves .02 gallons of petroleum and .41 pounds of CO2 as compared to conventional woven vinyls.
- TerraStrand® will be used in over 90% of Chilewich woven products by the end of 2015.
PLYNYL® FLOOR TILES WITH BIOFELT® + TERRASTRAND™
- BioFelt® is a PVC-free floor tile backing system developed by Chilewich that works with all our signature woven textiles.
- The backing for the floor tile is made from recycled water bottles, renewable vegetable compounds, as well as post-industrial materials.
- The total recycled content of the tile (including TerraStrand™ fabric and BioFelt® backing) exceeds 55%.
- Chilewich woven vinyl fabrics are covered by the internationally recognized GreenGuard® program certified by the GREENGUARD Environmental Institute.
- This certification is also recognized by the U.S. Green Building Council.
- To read more about GREENGUARD®, click here.
- Chilewich woven vinyl fabrics contain Microban® antimicrobial protection.
- Microban® works continuously for the lifetime of the product to inhibit the growth of stain- and odor-causing bacteria, mold and mildew.
- Microban® is ideal for any home, healthcare, hospitality or office environment where mold and mildew are a concern.
- To read more about Microban®, click here.
GREEN LABEL PLUS™
- Chilewich woven floormats and tile flooring are Green Label Plus™ certified by the Carpet and Rug Institute.
- These guidelines are written to protect indoor air quality by mandating low VOC products.
- Green Label Plus™ certification is recognized by the U.S. Green Building Council.
- To read more about Green Label Plus™, click here.
We recognize, and we hope our customers do too, that solving these problems is an evolutionary process that involves the plastics industry, consumers and government in a complex interplay of economics, engineering and chemistry. Chilewich has a commitment to improve and we are confident of continued success. To us, being green is not a marketing tool, but a commitment to change that recognizes the complex interrelationships that allow our society to move forward, together.